Friday, February 10, 2012

Sick Kids- When do you go in?

So my oldest is home sick, day 2, with something flu-like, minus the goo. Fever and sad lethargy - She loves to dramatize the, well everything. So it's pretty tough trying to figure out how sick is sick and when/if to take her to the doc. We are mostly homeopathic and try not to frequent the doctor too often. So the guilt and worry seems to attack when one of my munchkins is under the weather.
So I keep pushing the water and juice-cicles and without fail she gets better. But when do you go in? There's the obvious ... When the fever is high enough, when the breathing is labored, when the funk doesn't seem to go away. Typically I leave the pediatrician with an unneeded script, feeling relieved that I was right but irritated that I drug the munchkin out of bed to get poked and prodded. I also feel like we just breathed in a plethora of other nasty germs just being there. Yipes! I have learned in my mommy-hood that instincts should always be listened to but doctors are also necessary and useful when the time is right.
So back to movies on the couch with an extra large mug of tea and more snuggles with the girl.

1 comment:

kimbelina said...

My kids have to be in pretty rough shape for me to take either of them to the doctor -- a hacking cough that won't subside, an unexplained rash are the only things I've taken them in for outside of scheduled appointments.

We've been fortunate to not have to deal with any really ugly illnesses and have been okay (and probably better off) letting them get over things in their own time.